Saturday, June 13, 2020

Giving things over to the Lord

We started the semester at BYU-I 8 weeks ago. To say it started a bit rough would be an understatement. After the first weeks' assignments were graded I had a "run in" with a student. This student was melting down over a very small deduction on one of his assignments.
He proceeded to deal with it by demanding that I give back the points, then he did the unimaginable...he wrote to a Vice President to complain about his treatment.

I was floored and to be honest a bit angry. This job is not just for enjoyment and the opportunity to teach was at stake. I have seen enough times with Jack how the school at times makes teachers back down, and even give in, to unreasonable demands.


I prayed and was directed to tell my teaching group leader. I love that we have someone to tell our concerns to. The online department really has set things up in such an orderly manner, with plenty of support.

My leader in turn told her leader. They both got back to me immediately with such a loving and supportive response. God was showing me through their example how to handle things. I was at peace.

I wondered if this student would cause problems for the rest of the semester. I knew that with everything going wrong with my teaching job at the elementary school (COVID hit and I was in a lot of chaos) that I couldn't take one more thing bringing stress into my life.

I decided the only thing to truly do was to trust in what my leaders were saying...they would have my back. I also decided to follow the counsel of not talking about this to other instructors. What a Christlike admonition. Now I had a chance to be like Him

I committed to the Lord that I would do as He would and my life has been changed beyond belief. As the past 8 weeks have unfolded I have come to know of the struggles this young man has. I have met his wife and sweet daughter over private Zoom chats. I have been given the opportunity to turn things over to the Lord and listen to the holy promptings of the Spirit.

I can't say that things have run smoothly at all times. There has been tension, but it has been short-lived. This young man I believe is trying to see me as an ally. Shockingly enough I have found myself in phone calls where laughter is a big part of the conversation.

I can tell you that when we listen to the promptings of the Spirit while we deal with others, we become better communicators. Not communicators of words necessarily but communicators of love for our fellow man. We truly can be emissaries of love directed at people who may be asking for acceptance in all the wrong ways. It doesn't matter..the Lord and our Father in Heaven love them anyway.


I have been filled with such compassion for him...this is what happens when we stop making it about us and give our own feelings to the Lord. For that knowledge, I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment