Monday, June 10, 2019

How To See the True Work

I have been thinking a lot about what Family History really entails. Most of the time when I speak of Family History people get this glass-eyed look accompanied later by terror or guilt. I have often wondered why there is such a feeling about this work.
I know that most people see this work as their grandma's work. I can't seem to break that perspective.
With my REL261 students, I speak a lot about everyone having a place in this work, and that place changes with life.
For the young, we speak of it as finding pictures, stories, and indexing for others. But why? Do they not have a relationship to develop with their ancestors too? Many of my students take a very hands-off approach to this work. "I will do what I need to pass this class, but this isn't for me" I want to scream, WHY, DO YOU NOT WANT TO KNOW THE FAMILY YOU WILL SPEND ETERNITY WITH!
I speak of Temple work in terms of escorting family through the temple, rather than taking a name through the Temple. Sometimes that gives new perspective to some, but most still just smile with the I'm still not interested look.
Father, how can I help change the perspective of thy children to those who have been long gone? What can I do to further this work in an effective way?

No comments:

Post a Comment